Continuing and Innovative Education (CIE) at The University of Texas at Austin has a 100-year history of extending the resources of the university to anyone with a desire to learn. CIE provides a wide range of credit and noncredit courses, services and programs that encompass K-16 academics, online college and professional development courses, professional certificate programs and personal enrichment opportunities including an array of informal classes.
CIE is comprised of the K-16 Education Center, Petroleum Extension Service, Professional Development Center, Thompson Conference Center, University of Texas-University Charter School and University Extension. Whether you want to finish your education, advance your career, or learn something brand new, CIE offers high-quality learning options that can help you achieve your goals.
Opportunities to learn and grow are offered to students of all backgrounds, ages and educational levels. Find your place in CIE.
Continue to Learn
I want to finish my education
- University Extension offers college credit courses to take online or in the evening. Special certificates and programs are also available.
- The University of Texas at Austin Online High School (UTHS) allows students to take online courses and earn their high school diploma.
- Traveling migrant students can keep up with their studies and graduate on schedule using distance learning tools from the Migrant Student Graduation Enhancement Program.
- Spanish-speaking high school students transferring to the U.S. from Mexico can also stay on track through services offered by the LUCHA program.
- Students in residential treatment centers and sports facilities find educational opportunities at the University of Texas-University Charter School.
I want to advance my career
- A variety of certificate programs, seminars, workshops and consulting services are available at the Professional Development Center.
- The Petroleum Extension Service (PETEX) offers state-of-the-art training and publications for oil and gas workers.
- Mine workers find important safety and health training at the Texas Mine Safety and Health Program.
I want to learn something brand new
- A number of personal enrichment programs are housed at the Thompson Conference Center.
- Find an eclectic schedule history, literature, media, science, politics and art courses in the acclaimed Odyssey program.
- Informal Classes gives members of the greater Austin community exciting opportunities for personal enrichment in a wide range of program offerings. Students of all ages and backgrounds can take courses to have a more active life, enhance their business skills, explore their creativity, discover different cultures and get into the best physical shape of their lives.
- Adult learners can take courses purely for the love of learning and the promise of connecting to a social and academic environment through the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute.
- Road Scholar allows lifelong learners opportunities to travel the state to explore history, culture, nature, music and much more.