CIE in 2010: A look back
12/21/2010As 2010 comes to a close, we wanted to take a look back at some of our favorite stories from the past year. You may have missed them the first time around and we want to shine another light on them.
What we enjoy about these stories is that they provide a great snapshot of our division's commitment to finding new avenues of teaching and learning - in 2010 and every year.
Here are our favorite stories of 2010:
- "An Auspicious Start": CIE launches its 100 day blog to commemorate our 100th anniversary at The University of Texas at Austin.
- "OLLI invites you to join the conversation”: Kathy Sangster of UT Austin’s Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) invites anyone with a desire to learn to consider joining OLLI.
- "Students honored at 2010 Migrant Student Recognition Ceremony”: In this video, we offer congratulations to our exemplary migrant students of the year.
- "Jason Mellard: Coming home to Texas music”: The breadth of CIE courses and the quality of our instructors is featured in this video profile of UEX and Odyssey instructor Jason Mellard.
- “UEX helps international students adapt to life and study in the U.S.”: UEX’s relationship with the International Office is profiled in this video about the SABIC program, designed to help foreign students become acclimated to their new academic and social surroundings.
- “LUCHA offers help to Texas educators for improving graduation, decreasing dropout rates”: The LUCHA program hosted a day-long symposium to inform school systems of how LUCHA can help English language learners.
- “Meet David Verduzco, instructor with UEX’s Business Foundations Certificate”: In this video story, David offers his advice for graduating seniors and tells us why he believes in lifelong learning.
- “CIE’s Small Business Development Program: It’s not enough to have a great idea…”: We spoke with instructor Michael Crane about the benefits of this program, a partnership of CIE’s Professional Development Center and the City of Austin.
- "Healing poetry from the University of Texas-University Charter School”: A small sample of poems written by students at the University of Texas-University Charter School's Pathways 3H campus.
- "UTCPE enhances processes for military emergency response team": CIE sponsors UTCPE, a program that helps Texas business, education, healthcare and military organizations achieve and sustain excellence. Colonel Kevin Turnbo of Camp Mabry in Austin, TX, describes how UTCPE has helped his organization.
- "CIE's Road Scholar program shares photos and stories": View a photo gallery of recent excursions of the Road Scholar education and travel program.
- "PETEX explains drilling procedures with new animated oil rig": PETEX introduced a new animated oil rig to introduce both students and the public to the workings of a drilling rig.
- "New informal classes introduced by CIE": CIE re-launched the university's Informal Classes program in September.
- "Chris Catino finds academic freedom and flexibility with UT Online High School": Student Chris Catino shared how he is able to juggle studies with his marine biology research and scuba-diving profession.
- "Season's Greetings from CIE": We ended the year with a peek into how we created our video holiday card.
The blog returns in early January 2011. In the meantime, we wish you a wonderful holiday season. We look forward to bringing you new stories in the New Year.
Tags: k-16 education center,